Skip to main content

In Memory of My Sister, Dora Maxine Wimmer Bevan Andelin

This is the eulogy I wrote for the funeral service of my eldest sister, Dora Maxine Wimmer Bevan Andelin. It isn't the exact words I spoke, but conveys the ideas behind them. (It's hard to read a prepared talk when one's eyes are filled with tears.) I'm publishing it at the request of one of my sister's grand daughters.


Dora Maxine Wimmer Bevan Andelin

January 12, 1937 - July 17, 2016
Services held July 21, 2016, Peel Mortuary, Magna, Utah



Maxine Wimmer ca 1950
From Neva Wimmer's photo album
Four score and, um, minus one, years ago, our father – and our mother… Come to think of it, Mom probably did most of the work here… brought forth into this world a new life, conceived in their love, and probably dedicated to being very cute, their first born child, a little girl.

Mom told me the story of her birthday. It was January, 1937. Dad didn’t have a car, so he had to borrow his brother, Dee’s, to take Mom to the hospital. They were living here in Magna, and the closest hospital back then was Cottonwood in Murray. It had snowed recently, and, according to Mom, the snow banks along 3500 South were piled so high that you could walk along the tops and unscrew the street lights…  I have a hard time imagining Dad ever being frantic about something, but I can certainly imagine it here.  So I guess we can give him a little credit.

 They named her Dora Maxine. Now there is some controversy over whether they named her Dora Maxine or Maxine Dora, but I always thought it was Dora Maxine, so I’m going with that – I don’t care what her Tooele Army Depot forklift license says... The clerk was probably overwhelmed by having to issue one to a woman!

In Romeo and Juliet, William Shakespeare asks, “What is in a name?” and tells us “That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.”  In this case, however, there’s a lot in a name. The name Dora honors her maternal grandmother, Dora Matilda King Meyrick, and connects her with the history of our mother’s family, and with aunts and uncles and cousins.

The name Maxine, obviously, comes from Dad, Max Bryant (sorry Dad, the secret’s out – it wasn’t just an initial B), and connects her with our paternal family history, and another set of cousins, aunts and uncles. These two names connect her – as they do us -- with where we’ve come from, with the drummer boy at Monmouth Courthouse during the revolutionary war, with the young family floating down the Mississippi River, with the Scottish lass who lost her fingers to the loom and with the pioneers crossing the plains who met, fell in love and married, with our German, English, Scottish and Welch heritage. This is the legacy she carried forward.

Maxine (left) and Bonne Wimmer, ca 1940-41
 from Neva Wimmer's photo album
Her next name, Wimmer, is the name that she shares with me, and is the name that says she is my sister. This name connects her to me, and to our other sister, Bonnie, and brother, John. It is the name that makes us all part of a family. It this name that gives her the right to call me Yogi. (For the rest of you, it’s a privilege…) While I am from the same generation, being 22 years her junior, we were not always as close as we would like to be, but nevertheless,  we are connected in ways wonderful and profound that can only exist between siblings. Perhaps we haven’t said it enough to each other enough – I know I haven’t, but we all love each other very much. It is this love that makes this task so difficult.

Robert (Bob) and Maxine Bevan family,
ca 1960
Maxine (left) Johnny, Bob, Cindy, Rick, Shelly
From Neva Wimmer's photo album
The little girl grew up, fell in love, and married. She took on a new name, Bevan. With this name she gave birth to and raised four children; Shelley, Cindy, Ricky (uncle’s prerogative) and Johnny. These children, in their turn grew up and had children of their own, continuing the cycle, and connecting the little girl grown to woman with the future.  They carry the legacy forward from her.

Then, as life in this chaotic world would have it, she took on another name, Andelin, as she spent her mature years with her second husband, Pat. Through that relationship, her life impacted his children and family.

Shelley, Maxine, Juanita(?? somebody correct me...) and Bonnie
on a golf outing, December 2013.
Photo from Bonnie Holland
Finally, there are those of you here today who name her ‘friend.’ There is a line from a song from one of my favorite Broadway musicals that I think sums up what we can say about any friendship, “I don’t know if I have been changed for the better, but I have been changed for good.” I don’t know that Maxine ever saw the play Wicked, but I am sure she would have loved it. Each life that Maxine touched was changed by that touch. I think it is safe to say for those of you here today, that your presence indicates that you think that touch has changed you for the better.

And so the legacy continues, from the mists of history to the mystery of the future. Great or small, Dora Maxine Wimmer Bevan Andelin has touched us all, and that touch has changed each and every one of us. The world we live in is a different place than it would be had she not touched us, and each of us going forward after today will be a little different, or a lot different, because of that touch. The world may little note nor long remember the specifics of what she did in this life, but we cannot measure the full impact that her life has had, and will continue to have on the world around us.

We are met here today to say good bye to that precious life that began 79 years ago. Her battles in this life are done. Her struggles and worries and pain are at an end. If Bonnie’s ideas of what comes after this life are correct, she’s probably got a tee-time to play  the back nine with Dad, and several of her cousins set for around two O’clock.  I hope that’s true. But I do have to wonder… If we’re all raised to our perfect stature in heaven, do we still have a handicap? Or, perhaps she’ll go on a nice long ride on her horse through a beautiful canyon.

It is customary in a eulogy to share some membered shared event that helps to define the person’s character, but I confess that I am at a loss to tell just one or two stories that would do the task justice. First, Maxine’s character is complex, so it isn’t easy to describe.  And, as I am 22 years her junior, she was already married and had three kids before I came along, and I was too busy being a kid to pay attention to what the grown-ups were doing for the most part. Some of the memories I do have are so bitter-sweet that I don’t dare to share them. I can say though, that my sister was always there for me when I needed her to be.  And she could ride a horse…

So, rather than have me drone on and on, let’s take a moment and each of us silently bring to mind that individual memory you each have of Maxine, reflect on it, and reflect on how the event changed you. It has been said that people come into our lives so we can learn from them. Consider what cosmic lesson your association with my sister you are intended to learn, what the touch of her life on yours did. If you take that with you, then my sister, and her legacy, will live with us forever in your heart, as she will in mine.

Maxine Wimmer ca 1941
from Neva Wimmer's photo album
Maxine Wimmer ca 1948 - 50
From Neva Wimmer's photo album
Good-bye, sis. We love you, and we are going to miss you.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Agregate Demand and the US Savings Rate

In my last post, I touched on the differences between the economic theories of John Maynard Keynes and Ludwig von Mises. Immediately aftward, I was directed to this story in the New York Times. It seems that americans are saving more instead of spending the their money on consumer goods. Up until this downturn, about 70% of the US Economy was consumer spending, and in 2005, the US Savings rate was negative 2.7%. The "stimulus" is supposed to stimulate spending to get money moving again. But it isn't happening as planned. Folks are saving for down payments because they don't expect to get zero down home mortgages; they're saving to replenish their decimated retirement and college funds. The austrians believe that the best way to "fix" the economy is to allow the "malinvestment" created by the false signals in the economy (from the open market ops and deficit spending) to be liquidated and the resources repurposed into better investments. It'

Why Is History a Required Subject?

My daughter Mara has been asking for Susan Wise Bauer's The Story of the World: History for the Classical Child, Volume 3: Early Modern Times ever since she finished volume 2 . So Santa brought her volume 3 and The Story of the World: History for the Classical Child, Volume 4: The Modern Age: From Victoria's Empire to the End of the USSR for Christmas. She's devouring them, and thought that she got better presents than her sisters who got stereos and MP3 players. At last check, she was reading about the great fire of London, and commenting the need for building codes. (That discussion is food for another post...) I am also very much into history. I have two complete bookcases filled with history and biography, including a complete set of Will Durrants The Story of Civilization and Britanica's 18 Volume The Annals of America and 2 volume Great Issues in American Life (Volumes 1 - 18 and two volume Conspectus) In that context, last night Amy and I were listening to Show

Age Segregation: Child placed above ability level arbitrarily

A couple months back, my daughter Neeva asked her mother and I if we would let her go to the local public school. Since the school in our neighborhood has a much better reputation and academic record than the school in our old neighborhood, we decided to enroll her and see how things went. Neeva is nine years old. When she was five, she wasn't quite ready to begin reading, so we waited until she was ready rather than try to fight an uphill battle for a year with a disinterested pupil. Neeva has also struggled with Amblyopia ("Lazy Eye" Syndorme) and a more recent eye infection which has caused delays in her reading development. As a result, Neeva has progressed to the third grade level in her reading and math skills. Her birthday is on August 26, just five days before the cutoff date to determine which grade a child should be placed in in Utah. When we enrolled her in the local school, the school used her birthday as the determining factor in her class placement, and stuc